As a reminder, this subreddit [is for civil discussion.](/r/politics/wiki/index#wiki_be_civil)
In general, be courteous to others. Debate/discuss/argue the merits of ideas, don't attack people. Personal insults, shill or troll accusations, hate speech, **any** advocating or wishing death/physical harm, and other rule violations can result in a permanent ban.
If you see comments in violation of our rules, please report them.
For those who have questions regarding any media outlets being posted on this subreddit, please click [here](https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/wiki/approveddomainslist) to review our details as to our approved domains list and outlet criteria.
*I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please [contact the moderators of this subreddit](/message/compose/?to=/r/politics) if you have any questions or concerns.*
Honestly I'm a little surprised he didn't continue to deny it even after the recording. Calling it a deep state fabrication or something. That's the Trump playbook.
I’ll join you on that one. Lots of others have tried to deny the receipts even after getting busted.
Surprised he didn’t blame his wife or the kids. That’s kinda the norm these days.
> “People are attempting to use this to either advance the candidacy of other people, or they are doing it primarily to harm me and my family,” Merrill, who is married with two children, told the local station Wednesday morning. “It’s very frustrating and very sad.”
> When presented with the recording, Merrill acknowledged the relationship. “It’s clear that I had an inappropriate relationship with her, and it is not something that I am proud of or something that is something that—I’m very disappointed in myself,”
Amazed we didn't get a "this is not who I am."
And what will be the consequences? Oh, he's decided not to run for the senate seat this time around. I'll bet a dollar that's the worst that comes out of this for him.
Just another Religious Family Values Republican, add him to the list along with Gaetz Just might be a Republican thing.
• ?Republican Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert was sentenced to 15 months in prison in a hush money case that revealed he was being accused of sexually abusing young boys as a teacher in Illinois
• ?A Georgia pastor and and conservative political activist Ken Adkins was sentenced to 35 years in prison on charges of child molestation and aggravated child molestation.
• ?Republican mayor Thomas Adams of Illinois charged with 11 counts of disseminating child pornography and two counts of possession of child pornography.
• ?Republican campaign worker and self proclaimed reverend Steve Aiken convicted of having sex with two underage girls.
• ?Republican legislator Edison Misla Aldarondo was sentenced to 10 years in prison for raping his daughter between the ages of 9 and 17.
• ?Republican activist and rising Colorado Republican star Randal David Ankeney (who named his dogs Nixon and Reagan) pleaded guilty to attempted sexual assault on a child. Later he was rearrested for 5 counts of sexual assault on a child, 3 counts of sexual enticement of a child and one count of sexual exploitation of a child.
• ?Republican County Commissioner Merrill Robert Barter pleaded guilty to unlawful sexual contact and assault on a teenage boy.
• ?Republican congressman and anti-gay activist Robert Bauman was charged with having sex with a 16 year old boy he picked up at a gay bar.
• ?Republican activist Parker J. Bena pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography on his home computer and was sentenced to, 30 months in federal prison and fined $18,000.
• ?Republican preacher Hewart Lee Bennett arrested for soliciting sex from 16 year old boys while claiming that he did so to gain their trust and then teach them the love of Jesus.
• ?Republican Christian Coalition chair Louis Beres investigated for molesting three female family members as teens.
• ?Republican legislative aide Howard Brooks was charged with molesting a 17 year old boy and possession of child pornography.
• ?Republican politician Andrew Buhr was charged with two counts of first degree sodomy with a 13 year old boy.
• ?Republican anti-abortion activist John Allen Burt was charged with seuxal misconduct involving a 15 year old girl.
• ?Republican activist John Butler was charged with criminal sexual assault on a teenage girl.
• ?Republican County Councilman Keola Childs pleaded guilty to molesting a male child.
• ?Republican election board official Kevin Koan was sentenced to two years probation for soliciting sex over the internet from a 14 year old girl.
• ?Republican councilman John Collins pleads guilty to sexually molesting a 13 + 14 year old girls.
• ?Republican advertising consultant Carey Lee Cramer (who appeared in an ad blasting Al gore) convicted of molesting 9 yr old girl stepdaughter.
• ?Republican Congressman Dan Crane had sex with a female minor working as a congressional page.
• ?Republican Committeeman John Curtain charged with molesting a teenage boy.
• ?Republican benefactor of conservative Christian groups Richard A. Dasen Sr. was charged with rape for allegedly paying a 15 year old girl for sex. Dasen 62 who is married with grown children and several grandchildren has allegedly told police that over the past decade he paid more than $1 million to have sex with a large number of young women.
• ?Republican fundraiser Richard A. Delgaudio was found guilty of child porn charges and paying two teenage girls to pose for sexual photos
• ?Republican legislator Peter Dibble pleaded no contest to having an inappropriate relationship with a 15 year old girl.
• ?Republican spokesman Brian Doyle arrested for trying to seduce a 14 year old girl over the Internet.
• ?Republican director of the Young Republican Federation Nicholas Elizondo molested his 6 year old daughter and was sentenced to six years in prison.
• ?Republican congressman Mark Foley resigned from Congress after sending sexually explicit emails to former male pages under the age of 13.
• ?Republican constable Larry Dale Floyd of Denton arrested on suspicion of soliciting sex from an 13 yr old girl.
• ?Republican Councilman and former Marine Jack Gardner was convicted of molesting a 13 year old girl.
• ?Republican candidate Richard Gardner admitted to molesting his two daughters.
• ?Republican Mayor Philip Giordano of Waterbury Connecticut is serving a 37 year sentence in federal prison for sexually abusing 8 and 10 year old girls
• ?Republican activist Marty Glickman convicted in Florida on four counts of unlawful sexual activity with an underage girl and one count of delivering the drug LSD.
• ?Republican Mayor John Gosek sentenced to jail for soliciting sex from two 15 year old girls.
• ?Republican activist Mark A. Grethen convicted on six counts of sex crimes involving children.
• ?Republican President of NYC Housing Development Russell Harding pleads guilty to possession of child pornography on his computer.
• ?Republican city councilman Mark Harris, who is described as a "good military man" and "church goer", was convicted of repeatedly having sex with an 11 year old girl and sentenced to 17 years in prison.
• ?Republican Senate candidate John Hathaway was accused of having sex with his 17 year old baby sitter and withdrew his candidacy after the allegations were reported in the media.
• ?Republican anti-abortion activist Howard Scott Heldreth is a convicted child rapist in Florida.
• ?Republican pastor Mike Hintz (whom George Bush commended during the 2004 presidential campaign) surrendered to police after admitting to a sexual affair with a female juvenile.
• ?Republican Party leader Paul Ingram pleaded guilty to six counts of raping his daughters and served 14 years in federal prison.
• ?Republican anti-gay activist Earl Kimmerling was sentenced to 40 years in prison for molesting an 8 year old girl after he attempted to stop a gay couple from adopting her.
• ?Republican activist Lawrence E. King Jr. organized child sex parties at the White House during the 1980's.
• ?Republican Judge Ronald Kline was placed under house arrest for child molestation.
• ?Republican Congressman Donald Lukens was found guilty of having sex with a female minor and sentenced to one month in Jail
• ?Republican talk show host Jon Matthews pleaded guilty to exposing his genitals to an 11 year old girl.
• ?Republican Douglas County election official Pat McPherson arrested for fondling a 17 yr old girl.
• ?Republican anti abortion activist Nicholas Morency pleaded guilty to possessing child pornography on his computer and offering a bounty to anybody who murders an abortion doctor..
• ?Republican Committee Chairman Jeffrey Patti was arrested for distributing a video clip of a 5 year old girl being raped.
• ?Republican Judge Mark Pazuhanich pleaded no contest to fondling a 10 year old girl and was sentenced to 10 years probation.
• ?Republican boy scout leader and zoning supervisor Dennis Rader pleaded guilty for performing a sexual act on an 11 year old girl he murdered.
• ?Republican petition leader Tom Randall pleads guilty to molesting two girls under the age of 14.
• ?Republican activist and Christian Coalition leader Beverly Russell admitted to an incestuous relationship with his step daughter Susan Smith.
• ?Republican ex congressman Peter Schmitt of Orange County convicted of raping a 6th grader and bearing his two children.
• ?Republican parole board officer and former Colorado state representative Larry Jack Schwartz was fired after child pornography was found in his possession.
• ?Republican campaign worker Mark Seidensticker is a convicted child molester.
• ?Republican campaign consultant Tom Shortridge was sentenced to three years probation for taking nude photographs of a 15 year old girl.
• ?Republican City Councilman Fred C. Smeltzer Jr. pleaded no contest to raping a 15 year old girl and served six months in prison.
• ?Republican party leader Bobby Stumbo arrested for having sex with a five year old boy.
• ?Republican County Commissioner David Swartt pleaded guilty to molesting two girls under the age of 11 and was sentenced to 3 years in prison.
• ?Republican County Chairman Armando Tebano arrested for sexually molesting a 14 yr old girl.
• ?Republican racist pedophile and United States Senator Strom Thurmond raped a 15 year old black girl which produced a child.
• ?Republican strategist and Citadel Military College graduate Robin Canderwall was convicted in Virginia on five counts of soliciting sex from boys and girls over the internet.
• ?Republican consultant Lawrence Scott Ward arrested at Dulles airport after authorities found child pornography and videotapes of him having sex with children.
• ?Spokane Republican homophobic mayor Jim West recalled after evidence surfaced that he molested little boys.
• ?Republican politician Keith Westmoreland was arrested on seven felony counts of lewd and lascivious exhibition to girls under the age of 16 (i.e. exposing himself to children).
• ?Republican preacher Stephen white (who demanded a return to traditional values) was sentenced to jail after offering $27 to a 14 year old boy for permission to perform oral sex on him.
• ?Republican activist and James Dobson protege Steve Wilsey convicted of sexual assault after being charged with molesting an 8 year old boy.
Jesus christ.... it just keeps scrolling and scrolling
sounds like she was gathering insurance.
As a liberal I think affairs are usually private matters that don’t necessarily mean a politician can’t do his or her job. No staff. No underage girls. You lose points for being classless and gross, but I’m not knives out yet. I would find your policies as a Republican more disqualifying than a vanilla affair.
But lie about it when caught? Call your partner in the affair a liar and a stalker publicly on television? Now it’s plain as day you’ll lie to your wife, kids, your lover, and the world to get what you want.
Edit: I’d also throw any “Family Values” culture warriors on the pile as well. Legislating for me to walk your talk when you can’t is a person who doesn’t deserve public trust.
The lying part is definitely the bigger issue.
Though for a lot of people, it's not about the affair, it's about the hypocrisy.
I'm gonna guess he ran for office as a "family/purity/'Christian' values" candidate, and this proves he was a complete fraud as far as that's concerned.
That was like a spawn kill. He didn’t even entirely load in yet lol
Another day, another REPUBLICAN scandal! It's barely news at this point. If they are Republican expect some shit. Just that simple.
This is the best tl;dr I could make, [original](https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/04/alabama-republican-john-merrill-extramarital-affair-senate-race.html?via=rss) reduced by 77%. (I'm a bot)
> As rumors of an extramarital affair swirled around Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill, the conservative Republican did what conservative Republicans do in times of controversy and tumult: He sought refuge in the warm embrace of conservative talk radio to line up his denials and get his story straight.
> "Let me say unequivocally that these baseless allegations are entirely false," Merrill said of the allegations.
> While Merrill was summoning all of the righteous indignation he could muster, the legal assistant who Merrill said he most certainly wasn't having an affair with was handing AL.com a 17-minute recording of a phone call between the two that, ahem, indicated otherwise.
[**Extended Summary**](http://np.reddit.com/r/autotldr/comments/mmtrml/alabama_gop_senate_candidate_is_extremely/) | [FAQ](http://np.reddit.com/r/autotldr/comments/31b9fm/faq_autotldr_bot/ "Version 2.02, ~569268 tl;drs so far.") | [Feedback](http://np.reddit.com/message/compose?to=%23autotldr "PM's and comments are monitored, constructive feedback is welcome.") | *Top* *keywords*: **Merrill**^#1 **affair**^#2 **something**^#3 **woman**^#4 **State**^#5
“Man it’s been a few days since I’ve been on reddit. Time to check the news!”
*GOP Senator accused of affair, resigns after initially denying it*
*GOP man-potato Ted Cruz accused of misappropriating campaign funds for his novel*
*GOP member accused of Child P**n possession, taken into custody*
*GOP member accused of Child P**n possession, taken into* wait, I already read this one. Oh shit nvm, it’s a different shit stain.
Funny, 1st I didnt have an affair, shes a stalker and harassing me. Then it's all politically motivated. Then the evidence comes out proving the TRUTH. Now it's “It’s clear that I had an inappropriate relationship with her, and it is not something that I am proud of or something that is something that—I’m very disappointed in myself,” Where at any place does he say "I'm sorry I straight up lied"? Typical politician. Screw them ALL!
> I’m very disappointed in myself
Probably not possible because that would require a conscience, he's disappointed he got caught.
That's ok. He can still be elected, he's republican. It's not like anyone would impeach a politician for lying about an affair.. oh, wait... that basically happened in the 90s.
Oh, I know, he isn't an evil Democrat! No need for him need to worry about being a decent, moral human.
Let's go to the game tape
It is the core of the Republican platform. Screw everyone.
Wait a minute...so you’re telling me that he said he didn’t have an affair and defended himself AND THEN HE WAS HAVING AN AFFAIR? That would mean...that would mean that he lied!!! If it’s possible that he lied than it’s possible...OMG SOMEONE HAS TO TELL MATT GAETZ!
I'm sure he is ashamed. (at being caught).
I'm sure the rest of the GOP is ashamed they nominated him (if they had a sense of responsibility or integrity that is.)
I'm sure there can't be that many Republicans who understand the law and would do something as ugly as saying child pornography (General Consul for Elections for Florida...).
The Party of Morals and Integrity you say? When hell freezes over.
A GOP candidate had an affair with...an adult? Wow he’s pretty progressive for someone running as a member of the GOP
This guy is a scumbag for cheating on his wife, and deserves scorn for the way he whipped up indignation about the accusations.
Really shows how far the bar has sunk... the most surprising part of the story is that he has enough shame to drop out of the Senate race.
I know John Merrill. He is a slimy, gigantic waste of carbon. Not surprised one fucking bit. Get bent, racist hypocritical piece of shit. And Roll Tide.
He is an idiot. He could have had affairs with two pornstars and then run for president.
Beware of evangelicals bearing false witness. Bald-faced lying is their default mode, notwithstanding the 10 commandments, of which this guy has violated at least a couple.
Oh no! Not a Family Values Republican. Thoughts and prayers..... LMAO
The party of personal responsibility.
I fucking hate my state's politics. The state itself is pretty awesome for the natural beauty, but the folks down here are mind numbing at times.
Didn't even have the shame to resign after blaming others & being called on it. Party of family values amiright?!?
Sure would be nice if one of those reporters would ask him why he lied. Like actually use the word “lie” or “liar” since that’s what he did and what he is.
Another self serving GOP scumbag
another day, another gop liar
No fury like that of a woman scorned + a 17 min porno podcast...
15 min longer than expected
So tired of these people. Why are they in my life?
Not for nothing, I have a “Lying Republicans” organizational tag in my offline article storage.
Hypocritical, cowardly, dishonest, disingenuous, a liar - he embodies the entirety of the GOP/Republican party.
Lying liars lips launch livid libel.
In other words, proverication appears to be a common trait among conservatives.
I've always appreciated alliteration!
I live in Alabama and conservatives all across the state are still clamouring for him to run. Of course, so far it is just him and Mo 'insurrection' Brooks as leading candidates for that senate seat.
Don't put any hope or thought that either of these men would lose to a challenger- a lot of the Alabama folks hollering for any white male GOP to run is due to Doug Jones "failing our state" by actually trying to improve the state.
"Merrill categorically denied the allegations but when presented with the tape said "ah shit, my bad" "
The sad part is most republicans don't care. They vote for these sleaze bags anyway
Party of family values
He’s disappointed he got caught after lying bald faced about it. This is the definition of trash.
First rule for any accusations: Deny, deny, deny.
Evidence surfaces to contradict your denials -
I have sought for God's forgiveness, and you should too. Now let's forget this ever happened and move on.
Nope! Not before the humiliated wife gets dragged in front of the cameras next to her husband while he “apologies” while invoking Christian tenets!
Its outrageous that you would call me a liar just because I lied.
When will republicans wake up and realize their leaders overrepresent grifters, liars, bullies, and sexual predators?
How can we listen to the full 17 minute phone conversation?
He didn’t even try to deny this part:
“The woman, who said the relationship took place over three years, also accused Merrill of using racist language to describe Black people in the state.”
It’s always sweeter when, at first, the evidence is preceded by feigned outrage.
But he's a christian- so it's really more of rite of passage than a transgression, either way skydaddy is chill with it.
Wonder how Mrs. Straydick is feeling?
Another Republican is discovered to be a total piece of shit. Shocking!
There really needs to be criminal liability for any public official caught lying.
What an absolute pos
*Curb Your Enthusiasm music starts playing...*
Poor guy: Satan just won’t let him catch a break!
Republicans....”I am not a crook!” What? You have proof? Okay, I’ll resign.
...just when I thought “This you?” was over! Love it!
How fucking stupid can a person be? I think Cindy might want to talk...
He’ll just claim he’s found god and his constituents will believe him because this is exactly what Republicans do they automatically use the get out of jail and found god card
Typical political hypocrite. Why is the truth so foreign to these people?
False indignation at being (rightly) accused of a wrongdoing you claim you didn’t commit is one of the absolute most despicable things I can think of.
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman" is one of the oldest lies in human history.
I can honestly say that about multitudes of women
Reminds me of Dave Chapelle's Real World:
> People are attempting to use this to either advance the candidacy of other people, or they are doing it primarily to harm me and my family
These are all natural responses. People aren't "attempting" anything. He created the vacuum.
This is not at all what I thought conservative family values are about. Recommendation to the GOP is to make this a lot clearer that we're talking adultery, sex, drugs rock and roll. I think people would vote for you more /s
Oh! You have evidence!
I am outraged at these totally false and offensive alli...oh you have a tape?? Ahhhh yes. Well jesus will forgive me.
What’s more concerning is nothing is enough to get a person to resign, if you’re a Republican. The party and their voters have no morals anymore and will support literal rapists.
/r/Politics is for news and discussion about U.S. politics.